Monday, June 28, 2010

Ella Enchanted

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine has been out for many years and even a movie has been made which I have watched as well. But, I haven't read this book until now. It was a delightful book, cute and funny. I haven't watched the movie in quite some time, but from memory, there are lots of differences. Ella Enchanted is a re-telling of Cinderella (Cinder ella get it? took me almost the end of the book to see that.) The story of Cinderella never tells why Cinderella does everything her step sisters and step mother tells her too, I mean why didn't she just run away from it all? But, Ella Enchanted gives a reason to why Ella stays and does all of their bidding. Ella Enchanted even has the glass slippers and pumpkin stagecoach which I don't think the movie had. I think the movie strayed more from the Cinderella aspect of it and went more toward Ella's obedience.

When Ella was a baby, she was gifted obedience and must do whatever anyone has order of her. Ella didn't let this gift bring her down. She was defiant to her gift, if her cook told her to bring her almonds Ella would bring her two. She would find ways to defy the gift. When Ella's mother dies things go down hill for her but she meets Prince Char and starts a relationship with him. It is a cute story between her and Char. But, after a while, Ella's father must remarry and Ella moves in with her Stepmother and stepsisters who make things awful for her when her father leaves.

I am glad that I finally read this book. It is a really cute retelling.

No comments:

Post a Comment