Thursday, January 31, 2013

Scarlet by Marissa Meyer

I've been wanting to read this book ever since I finished Cinder, and it didn't disappoint! Scarlet's and Cinder's stories blend so well with each other. Looking back, there are little bits of Cinder that hint at things to come in Scarlet. And everything puzzles together so perfectly, I loved it.

The story starts right up after Cinder. The day after the coronation ball. And, it is action packed from the beginning. Scarlet's grandmother has been missing for a little over 2 weeks. Scarlet is very afraid that something really bad has happened to her grandmother, but the police have stopped looking for her so now Scarlet has to look for her on her own. On her quest to find her grandmother, she runs into wolf, the street fighter, who may just know where her grandmother is. (If you want to know more about Wolf, read the short story, The Queen's Army. Bits of that also ties into this book)

The story also whips back to Cinder and her quest to escape from prison and get out of the grasp of the Luna Queen Levana. On her way trying to escape, she runs in to Captain Carswell Thorne. And together they go on an adventure.

The new characters are great. Thorne is hilarious with his witty remarks. I found myself giggling at almost everything he said. And Wolf, even though you can never tell he is actually a good guy or a bad guy you feel for him. With his shy demeanor but his large physical appearance.

The novel does subtly tie into the little red riding hood tale. Scarlet going to see her grandmother. And other parts of little red riding hood, that I can't add because it might spoil the novel.

There are parts that left me on the edge of my seat. Nail biting scenes, parts where I just couldn't read anymore because I didn't want anything bad to happen to the characters but I had to keep reading to find out what really happened! Marissa Meyer does a great job blending the story with an old fairy tale but keeping it new and her own story.

Next book come out next year, Cress. Which is about Rapunzel, who had a small cameo in Cinder. And I just can't wait for that one!

No comments:

Post a Comment