Monday, February 11, 2013

The Diviners by Libba Bray

When I started this book, for some reason I thought it was a stand alone book. I have no clue why, maybe because they last couple books from Libba Bray were. So, as this book was ending and things were not tying up, I started to realize...oh there are going to be more books in this series. Which I couldn't be more pleased, I love the characters in this book.

The book is based on the 1920s, and really makes you feel like you are there in the 1920s along with the characters. The dialogue is spot on, and even made me want to talk like the characters. There is tons of historical references in this books that I found myself wanting to know more about the history that she was quoting and I would end up going onto google and researching abit myself because the book really peaked my interest.

The book mostly centers around Evie. Evie is very eccentric and sometimes speaks before she thinks. She is sent to live with her uncle after using her powers as a palor trick that went wrong. Evie has the ability to find out thing about you just by touching something you own. And she isn't the only one in this book that have powers. Some of the characters you really get a feel for what they can do, and others it just hints at.

The book also centers around a killing spree in New York. Someone is going around killing people based off of the reference from a religious book. Evie and her uncle Will, the curator of the Museum of American Folklore, Superstition, and the Occult, are on the task of trying to find out who the killer is and stop them. Joining them is Jericho and Sam Lloyd the pick pocket-er.

This book has it all, comedy, bit of romance, bit of gruesomeness, mystery, magic, and a lot more. I can't wait to read more, even though it is a large book there is still so much more to learn about the characters!

No comments:

Post a Comment