Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Reached by Ally Condie

I loved the first book in this series, Matched. It was so unique and really got your attention. You really felt for the characters and got to know them. But this final book in the trilogy didn't give me the same feeling. Right off the bat, at the beginning of the book I felt like I was missing something. It felt off, disconnected. You know the characters already in this third book but you don't really feel for them anymore.

Cassia has endured the carving and found Ky and found the rising. But know there is a plague on the lose. Cassia, the sorter must find a match in the people that have immunities to the plague in order to find a cure. Zander the Physic, helps the sick and tries to find a cure. Ky the pilot, flew the cure to the Providences, until the plague mutated and he became a body for them to cure.

The book is in five parts: Pilot, Poet, Physic, Plague and the Prisoner's Dilemma. It doesn't really get good until into Prisoner's Dilemma. Where things start to peak my interest. And there is a tiny bit of a twist that answers one of the questions in the first book Matched. A lot of questions from the first two books were answered but I did have some questions that were not.

In the first book, only Cassia was the narrator. In the third book, Crossed, it was narrated by Cassia and Ky. And now in the third book you not only get the voice of Cassia and Ky but Xander as well. Xander is my favorite character so, it was nice to hear from his point of view. But each point of view did feel the same they didn't have there one voice...Sometimes I had a hard time figuring out exactly who was narrating the chapter I was reading.

Overall I wished it was more character development. I didn't feel as attached to the characters as I did in the first book. I didn't feel sad when someone died. It just would happened and didn't really make you have any emotion. I just wish that was something more to this book. Something to make it pop. But it was isn't there so I gave 3 stars since it was just okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment