Monday, December 19, 2011

The Help

This book isn't what I normally read, so I never thought I would read it. But, I just kept seeing it on Amazon, and bestsellers lists, and then I saw there was a movie about it. I kept hearing so many good things about this book I decided, I would give it a try. And, I am really glad I did because it is one of my favorite books I have read in a while!

My mom was born in 1963, so this is book is about two generations before me and I didn't know that much about what was going on in the South back then expect the small bit they taught us in school. This book is an eye opener to what was going on during that time. There is a lot of historical references to that time period in this book. So not only was I enjoying the storyline but I was also learning from the bits and pieces of history she added in.

There is humor, sadness, and fear in the book. Minny is hilarious with her Terrible Awful story and her personality. But, at the same time you feel for her and you feel bad for her with her living situation with her husband. Minny is out going and loud just as Aibileen is soft spoken and clever. Each maid has their own stories, their own hardships and their own personalities that shine throughout the book.

Then, there is Skeeter with her awkward appearances and just being plain different from the other girls. She feels the need to have change, to write and be a journalist while all her friends just want to marry and have babies. Then there is silly Celia, she is so great to read about but at the same time it hurts to read about her problems as well.

Gosh, I really did enjoy this book! I could not put it down. And now that I am done I still want to read about their stories!

No comments:

Post a Comment