Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The Distant Hours - Kate Morton

Everything starts out with a lost letter sent out 50 years too late. Then a distraction that leads the main character Edie to a sign post that reads Milderhurst 3 miles. Milderhurst castle, where Raymond Blythe wrote the Mud Man which started Edie love of reading, where Edies mother spent 18 months during the great war, where secrets are kept of missing love ones, where the ancient walls sing the distant hours, where three elderly sisters live together.

The book alternates from Edie's point of view in 1992, to the past with the Blythe sisters: Saffy, Percy and Juniper. The two time frames wrap together effortlessly as the story unfolds about the history of the Mud Man and the Blythe sisters.

Throughout this book, I kept feeling like there was going to be a big reveal, a big twist that would make me want to read the book again to see if I could catch it. But, the reveal, and the twist wasn't as big as I thought and it made me feel like I didn't get what I was promised. From the very beginning there is a lot of foreshadowing of things to come to prepare you for later events to make you think something big would happen. Things did happen, but it wasn't as big as I thought. But nevertheless I really enjoyed the book!

No comments:

Post a Comment