Monday, May 3, 2010

The Vanishing of Katharina Linden

First off, it took me about a quarter of the book to realize that there was a glossary at the back of the book with German terms in it. The book is riddled with German words and at first I thought I was going to have to guess my way through the German words, as only a couple of them had the definition of the word in the text. But, I was happy to find the glossary, and I was repeatedly flipping back that for the definitions of certain words.

The book is about Pia who wants to be the girl who solves the Katharina Linden case, no the girl whose grandmother had exploded. This book is not particularly about the disappearance of Katharina Linden but of a chain of events that has changed Pia's life in the span of a year.

Everything takes place in a small town, in which everyone knows everyone business. And, they think they know everything that is happening in there town, except for one small thing the disappearance of young girls in the town.

Pia, is a normal ten year old girl in this town, that is until Pia's grandmother dies an unexpected death, death by explosion. With everyone knowing everyones business this piece of news spread like wild fire and now Pia is the girl whose grandmother exploded. Then, girls start to go missing, and to try to wipe her name clean as the girl whose grandmother exploded Pia goes on the hunt for the missing girls with her sidekick StinkStephen.

I really enjoyed the book, it is all in Pia's point of view. Although, at the end, I felt as though maybe everything didn't all go together as nicely as it should have. Not, to give anything away, I will just say I wanted more explanations at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment