Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Perfect Ruin

I kind of have a love/hate relationship with this book. At the beginning it was really hard for me to get into this book. It just starts going, and I have a hard time catching up, figuring out what is going on. Not that there is any action at the beginning of the book, it is very boring actually. I just feel like I am dropped in a story and have to figure out everything thing that is going on while a boring storyline keeps going. There is a disconnect for me right at the beginning making it hard to follow or understand the characters. I didn't even realize the main character's, Morgan, brother Lex was blind until the 4th chapter. It isn't blatantly brought up but hints at it so subtly that I just thought he was clumsy.

Let me back up a bit. Morgan lives on Internment, a floating city in the sky that floats high above the clouds from the ground. When she was younger her older brother Lex tried to jump off the floating city leaving him forever blind because of it. Internment is ruled by a king and everyone that live there is born betrothed to another, and parents have to wait in a queue to have children. Because they live on an island in the sky there is only so much room so when enough people die others can have children. Everything is peaceful, no one locks there doors on Internment, until one day a girl is murder, and everything is turn upside down for Morgan, and she begins to question the life that she lives.

Halfway through the book, it gets much better, and there is a lot of intrigue and action. Although there are a lot of questions left unanswered and a cliff hanger that I saw a mile away, I really started to like this book.

Overall it is a good book, like the authors last book there are some really great lines:

"First kiss lingers. It travels away from the lips once it's over, and it breaks apart and settles in strange places. The stomach. Fingertips. Knees",

"Plenty of rules are laid out for us in our history book. They were discovered by first being broken."

The author has a great way with words which I really enjoyed. If you have read Matched by Ally Condie and like it, you will like this book. There are a lot of similarities, betrothed to another, living until a certain old age and this dispatched.

No comments:

Post a Comment